Alcohol Overdose Awareness
Alcohol is the active ingredient in wine, beer and liquors. It's also found in mouthwash, hand sanitizer and other household products.
Know the Signs
Slow or irregular. Unusual snoring or gurgling breath.
Confused, uncoordinated, unconscious or unresponsive.
Pale or turning blue. Vomiting or seizing.
Know the Response
If Someone has Passed Out or Overdosed on Alcohol
- Place the person on their side (Recovery Position)
- Call 911 or ask others to call for you
- Stay with the person until paramedics arrive
The Recovery Postion ensures that the person will not choke if they start to vomit.
Safer Alcohol Use
If you choose to use alcohol, you can reduce your risk:
- Decide in advance how much you will drink, and stick to your limits
- Drink slowly
- Alternate between alcoholic and nonalcoholic drinks
- Don't drink on an empty stomach. Eat before and while you are drinking
- Do not use alcohol if using other substances. Using alcohol with other substances increases the risk of drug overdose
Visit heretohelp for more great tips on using alcohol safely.